Organiser: Aspace Foundation Catalonia.

Collaborating organisation: Ramon Molinas Foundation.

Dates of implementation: 07/01/2019 -30/04/2020.


New cognitive assessment tools assist with the improvement of the abilities of people with cerebral palsy or other neurodevelopmental disorders

The Ramon Molinas Foundation is collaborating with the Aspace Foundation Catalonia with the aim of updating the organisation’s psychological and neuropsychological assessment tools. The assessment tools are designed to detect cognitive difficulties earlier, helping to improve the abilities of people with cerebral palsy or other neurodevelopmental disorders. The initiative will help doctors to provide an accurate diagnosis and objective data on cognitive development.

People with cerebral palsy or other neurological development disorders can show symptoms of difficulties at the cognitive level from a young age. Assessment tools are used with children that are at risk of abnormal development. The tools allow doctors to take early and preventative action, helping to mitigate against any developmental issues and determine the abilities of each child. For children and teenagers at school age, assessment tools are useful for educational institutions to adapt specific content and methodology. In adults, the tools help to identify maturity level and detect any deterioration or progress of certain abilities.

The collaboration between the Ramon Molinas Foundation and Aspace Foundation Catalonia represents an important contribution to the improvement of the health services of the organisation. Assessment and diagnosis are two of the main responsibilities of the Outpatient Care Service (Servicio de Atención Ambulatoria) and the Centre of Child Development and Early Care (CDIAP) at the Aspace Foundation Catalonia, which assists 2,500 people annually. In order to help patients as efficiently as possible, it is essential for the organisation to use the right tools to diagnose and monitor each patient depending on their individual needs. A psychological assessment is also essential in the process of Recognised Degree of Disability (RDG) in Spain.


Every year, one thousand people will benefit from eight tools

The Outpatient Care Service (Servicio de Atención Ambulatoria) and the Centre of Child Development and Early Care (CDIAP) at the Aspace Foundation Catalonia complete around one thousand assessments annually. The organisation is now able to carry out accurate diagnosis with the updated Bayley-III Scales of Infant and Toddler Development, McCarthy Scales of Children’s Abilities (MSCA), Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence – Fourth Edition (WPPSI-IV), Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children – Fifth Edition (WISC-V), Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – Fourth Edition (WAIS-IV), Wechsler Nonverbal Scale of Ability (WNV), the Child Neuropsychology Test Battery (NEPSY-II) and the Test Leiter-3.


Cerebral palsy, a lifelong, but non-degenerative disorder

Cerebral palsy is a permanent psychomotor disorder which causes limitations in the activity of the person affected. It is a condition that is permanent but is not degenerative; those with the condition will have it for their whole life, but it will not deteriorate. Although no cure exists for the disorder, it is possible to achieve a certain degree of improvement in motor, cognitive, linguistic and social skills with stimulation and learning techniques.

In 94% of cases, the damage that causes cerebral palsy can occur from the foetal stage up to four years of age. The remaining 6% of cases are caused by an accident, trauma or illness. In Catalonia, there are more than 14,000 people with cerebral palsy. The disorder affects between two and three out of every 1,000 new-born babies, meaning there are between 120-150 new cases every year. In Spain, there are 120,000 people with cerebral palsy.


The Aspace Foundation Catalonia, a leading organisation in cerebral palsy and other neurological development pathologies 

The Aspace Foundation Catalonia (Aspace) is a non-profit organisation founded in 1961. The institution was born thanks to the work of a group of parents with children affected by cerebral palsy who had the determination to promote research, diagnosis, rehabilitation, education, advancement and support for people who suffer from this disorder or other developmental disorders.

Seven years after it was established, the institution was declared a non-profit association. Currently, with 60 years of history, the Aspace Foundation Catalonia is a leading organisation in Catalan society. Committed to sharing the knowledge acquired through its daily activities, Aspace supports people with cerebral palsy or other development pathologies throughout their entire lives, providing comprehensive care.


Links of interest:

Aspace Foundation Catalonia.