Organiser: Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation.
Collaborating organisation: Ramon Molinas Foundation.
Dates of implementation: 01/09/2018 – 21/06/2019.
¡Alive! Hago mi vida (¡I’m alive! I live my own life), a programme which promotes the development of people with cerebral palsy and builds confidence in their families
The Ramon Molinas Foundation is collaborating with the Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation with the aim of promoting the development of people with cerebral palsy over 18 years old, through leisure activities developed in their day-to-day environment.
The programme serves to champion the capability of people with cerebral palsy to improve their level of personal autonomy and independence. The majority of adults with cerebral palsy have lived life in a very safe environment, often overprotected by their parents or caregivers, which at times is not conducive to personal development. ¡Alive! Hago mi vida builds confidence in families by improving the skills and potential of 25 people with cerebral palsy.
An initiative which encourages personal development in everyday situations and work
¡Alive! Hago mi vida stimulates people will cerebral palsy to learn to discover and cope with new challenges, and flourish in everyday situations like decision-making, organisation, and learning about their environment.
The initiative is made up of four parts: activities in the local neighbourhood, activities in the city and at the weekend, IT training and artistic activities. Firstly, the participants in the program will take part in the social fabric of the neighbourhood, by participating in activities organised by the local council and exploring their local area, among other activities. For the activities in the city and at the weekend, the participants organise and manage various outings, or will go out shopping after putting together a shopping list and a budget. The Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation encourages the programme participants to organise the activity autonomously and take full responsibility for their commitments.
Providing people with cerebral palsy with access to IT classes allows them full participation in society. For this reason, the programme provides training activities in technology and communication. The participants learn how to use tools and programmes, helping them to understand the possibilities provided by new technology.
Lastly, the participants in the ¡Alive! Hago mi vida programme participate in artistic activities including painting and music workshops, creating a communicative environment through art and helping to create a relaxed space to foster creativity and socialisation.
Cerebral palsy, an irreversible but non-degenerative disorder
Cerebral palsy is a permanent psychomotor disorder which causes limitations in the activity of the person affected. It is a condition that is permanent but is not degenerative. Those with the condition will have it for their whole life, but it will not deteriorate. Although no cure exists for the disorder, it is possible to achieve a certain degree of development in the motor, cognitive, linguistic and social areas thanks to stimulation and learning techniques.
In 94% of cases, the damage that causes cerebral palsy can occur from the foetal stage up to four years of life. The remaining 6% of cases are caused by an accident, trauma or illness. In Catalonia there are more than 14,000 people with cerebral palsy. The disorder affects between two and three out of every 1,000 new-born babies, which means that there are between 150-200 new cases every year. In Spain, there are 120,000 people with cerebral palsy.
The Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation, an organisation that encourages personal autonomy in people with cerebral palsy
The Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation was established in 1996 with the aim of promoting and organising all types of activities designed to help people with cerebral palsy and other related disabilities, helping them to achieve greater levels of personal autonomy, and social and labour integration.
Since its inception, the organisation has been committed to innovation with a global outlook. In 1999 the organisation defended the right of independence for people with disabilities and their capacity to exercise their own free will through the programme Respiro Mutuo. In 2001, it was a pioneer in launching international exchange programmes that promoted equality between people with and without disabilities and aimed to support the ability of disabled people to live independently, breaking the traditional social dichotomy of volunteer-recipient.
With over 20 years of history, the Catalan Cerebral Palsy Foundation is looking to change its method based on the rights in accordance with the United Nations International Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2006). The organisation is committed to transforming and improving the experiences of people with cerebral palsy in all areas of their lives.
Links of interest: